Monday, November 10, 2008

Jenny-O Oven Ready Turkey


Yesterday I tried the Jenny-O Oven ready turkey. It was with some trepidation but it really was much better than expected. For $70 (online, in store it is more like $30) you get a turkey in a specially designed bag that lets you roast a fully frozen turkey safely and as quickly as a fresh or defrosted turkey. In 3 hours we had a fully cooked 11-13 lb turkey. I have no idea how this works, but it does!

Pros:
Very quick and easy to make
The meat fell off the bone-not a lot of carving needed
Tasty meat
Crispy skin
Doesn't need to be defrosted

Cons:
A little pricy
Not quite as tasty or crispy as homemade (but still quite flavorful, especially the dark meat)
Can't be stuffed (but you can collect the pan drippings from the bag for gravy)


All in all, I don't think I'd be buying one on a regular basis because I roast a great turkey but the meat was tasty, it was very easy and we have lots of yummy leftovers I look forward to using up. I think it would be perfect for novice cooks, very busy cooks or those who have a hard time making a tasty, juicy turkey. And the "how to" video on the Jenny-O site is pretty funny.