Friday, February 08, 2008

Celery Seed


One of my favorite flavors is celery seed. According to McCormick

"Celery seed is the dried fruit of the Apium graveolens which is related,
but not identical, to the vegetable celery plant. The tiny brown seeds have a
celery-like flavor and aroma."

I had always liked a particular flavor in Old Bay and then one day I realized it was celery seed. So now where ever I use Old Bay I add a little extra celery seed. Anyway, it lasts forever and I got a bit of sticker shock when I went to buy a new jar yesterday. It was $5.60. I don't remember it being that expensive before. But what can a celery seed lover do? Frankly I was glad they had it in stock, the last couple times I've been shopping there has been a empty spot on the shelf. Possible celery seed shortage?