Sunday, June 10, 2007

Waverly Farmers Market





This weekend the fabulous Heather and I ventured out to the Waverly Farmers Market. Surprisingly, it was my first time there. I have gone to the big one under 83 many times, but never to the Waverly one. It is actually much closer to my house which makes up for the fact that it is on the small side. It is early in Maryland's growing season, but I still was able to score some goodies: great rhubarb (I've already made both granita and rhubarb martinis), some garlic, lettuce, green onions and best off all...popcorn on the cob! It was like a dream come true. Popcorn on the cob. I can't wait to pop it.
I was also interested in the dairy stall. I am always a little leery of buying dairy that has been sitting out on a hot day, but they did seem to have some sort of refrigeration on the truck and people were coming back with empty bottles for fresh milk, so it must be okay. Or else these people have lower standards than I do. Which is quite possible, I also feel sort of funny about buying open air, unwrapped baked goods. Something about the flies and the chance of random people touching them before you buy it kind of creeps me out. But that's just me.