Wednesday, March 14, 2007

In My Kitchen: Oster Beehive Blender



I can't say I frequently blend things, but I love my blender. I bought it because it had a retro design but was also very strong: it can crush ice! I don't think I have ever had the occasion to crush ice (I actually don't like ice very much) but it seems like an important feature to have. According to the website it can also grind coffee (which I don't drink but again, showcases how powerful it is) and shred coconut, which sounds useful. It also has a metal shaft that attaches to the base to the blades, rather than the plastic one that a lot of newer blenders have which makes it very sturdy. It does only have three settings (on, off and high) but really, what else do you need? It blends quickly and throughly so you don't need 8 speeds.

A blender is one of those appliances that is always good to have on hand, even if you use it rarely. There are just somethings that you need a blender to do: food processors can whip a dough into shape, but are pretty much useless when it comes to milkshakes and margaritas. I used it to make my first smoothie last week and it mixed everything together in just a couple of seconds. I've also made hummus successfully in a blender back before I had a food processor.


We actually have two blenders; my husband bought one shortly after we met and then just a year later we were married, so we ended up with two fairly new identical blenders. If we had known we would get married so quickly, maybe he would have held off on the blender purchase, but it actually has come in handy when making drinks for guests. I like having a extra jar, if you are blending two different things or make a mistake and need to start over, you can just switch the jars and not have to stop and clean.

Replacement parts and second jars are pretty affordable too, I recommend picking up an extra ($2) set of the rubber gaskets, because they have a tendency to disappear when you go to wash it.