Thursday, March 15, 2007

Food Wishlist Update: Cane Sugar Coke, Japanese Soda and Ribena




I went to Wegmans today to see if they had gotten any kosher for Passover coke in. Last year they had some, but they sold out really quickly. I was in luck-they said it had just come in and probably would be gone by the weekend. Why is kosher for Passover coke so exciting? It is made with cane sugar and not high fructose corn syrup (which is made from corn with is banned during Passover)! I love coke anyway, but coke with cane sugar is so much better, and closer to the original taste of coke. Cane sugar had been used long before using high fructose corn syrup came into vogue in the mid 1980s. Coke made with cane sugar has a lighter flavor and no sticky sweet aftertaste. It also has smaller bubbles and is less foamy.
Wegmans only had it in 2 liter bottles, which is my least favorite way to drink coke (in order: cans, glass bottles, 12 oz plastic bottles, 2 liter bottles) because it goes flat quickly but it is better than nothing. I have heard that Mexican-made cane sugar coke is some times available in glass bottles at Mexican stores, but so far I haven't found that to be true here in Baltimore.
If you are looking for kosher for Passover coke, I suggest first going to an area with large Jewish population and looking for the bottles with the yellow cap. All coke is kosher but the special kosher for Passover coke is marked OU-P and has a yellow cap. Do not be fooled by the circle k mark that is on "regular" coke.
According to the OU Kosher website:
"Coca Cola will again be available with an OU-P for Pesach. Aside from the New York metropolitan area, Coke will be available in Boston, Baltimore-Washington, Miami, Atlanta, Houston, Philadelphia, and Los Angeles. This year, in New York, Coca Cola items will be made with an OU-P in 2 liter bottles and in cans."

So it is available in cans, but only in NY. I might have to put a call into my in-laws to be on the lookout. All of my NYC food lovers, let me know if you have a sighting! We are planning a NYC trip for the end of the month or early April.



Wegmans also had Ribena, which was also on my list. I asked why I hadn't seen it before and they said they just started carrying it in the last few weeks. It was a little pricier than I was expecting (almost $7 for 20 oz!!) but I had to get it so I can cross it off the list. Thanks for the tip, Beth!



One last Wegmans find: individual bottles of Ramune soda ($1.25). It wasn't on the list, because I knew where to find it, but until today, I've only seen it in multipacks for $8-10 and I didn't want to spend that much on soda I wasn't sure if I'd like. The main reason I wanted to try it is that it comes in a fun shaped bottle and has a marble sealing the top. I haven't tried it yet, but I hear it tastes like Sprite or 7 Up.