Friday, March 23, 2007

Food Blog Etiquette



I think it is time for a little blog etiquette refresher course. Most people I encounter are delightful but every once in a while, you run into a bad apple.


Do:
  • Leave comments on new posts. Everyone likes to receive feedback!

  • Leave a comment on an older post if you made and liked the recipe. I know I love hearing that people made and loved the recipes I created!

  • Suggest tips and offer your experiences in a positive way.

  • Ask questions! I get a lot of emails with various questions and am happy to answer any that I can.

  • Ask permission before posting someone else's recipes on your own blog.

  • Ask permission before using someone else's photographs on your own blog.

  • If you are confused by a recipe, email the person and ask for clarification.
  • Make food suggestions.

  • Feel free to email the food blogger if their email is readily accessible on the site. I know I love hearing from readers and have "met" a lot of great people, found a lot of cool sites, and got some new food ideas from emails I was sent.

  • Don't:

  • Demand that some one create or post a certain food or recipe. Remember, it is ultimately up to the blogger what they post. They might be interested in knowing you like their (for example) Thai recipes and that you would like to see more, but it is not appropriate to repeatedly email them asking when they are posting more Thai food or to say that you need them to post the recipe because you have a party coming up and want to get cooking.


  • Don't leave comments that are basically just invitations to see your blog. Chances are, if you leave a comment they will go and look at it anyway.


  • Tell the food blogger that you would never eat that or that you don't like that sort of food. It is fine to share a different technique, tip or idea , but really, no one cares that you don't like Chinese food, especially if you say it in a hostile or overly negative manner.


  • Do not ever post a recipe without permission or worse yet, post it and make it look like it was yours.


  • Do not make minor changes to a recipe (like say, numbering the steps in the directions while keeping the wording of the instructions and ingredients the same) and claim it was your own.


  • These are just a few issues I have both enountered myself and heard about recently...any thing I missed?