Thursday, February 22, 2007

Temples and Murcotts?

So, the other day I was perusing a 1963 copy of Life Magazine about the Kennedys and came across something interesting. I always pay careful attention to ads in old magazines because they are a good glimpse into what people aspired to and lived like during that time. Anyway, I came across a sort of striking 2 full page ad by the Florida Citrus Growers group. It first caught my attention because it was advertising citrus as just coming into season around the winter holidays. I thought it was interesting that they were advertising seasonal fruit and it seemed like maybe most citrus (or at least tasty citrus) wasn't available year round in some areas. It all seemed normal until I started reading it closer. It mentioned grapefruit, oranges, tangerines, tangelos and then suddenly...."easy-to-peel, sweet and scrumptiously juicy temples and murcotts.".





Temples and murcotts? What the hell are they? I have never seen a temple or a murcott my whole life, but some how in 1963, the whole world was waiting until January when it was temple and murcott season. Some quick research tells me that they are varieties of oranges, which makes sense, but they must have been pretty popular that they could be called by name without an explanation.

Maybe the next wave of "heirloom" fruit will be citrus. We get more varieties of apples (even in the off season) in the last few years than ever before, and last year, even the regular supermarket had yellow and purple varieties of tomatoes. I say, bring back temples and murcotts!