Thursday, December 28, 2006

What's Your Story #3: Nicole of Pinch My Salt



For the third edition of "What's Your Story" I contacted Nicole of the lovely food blog Pinch My Salt. Not only do I enjoy her site's clever name and beautiful recipes, but I really like how she sets up up her recipes and provides links for more information. It is so handy! Not only do we get yummy recipes but we learn a lot at the same time.

How long have you been cooking/baking?
My sister and I started baking with my mother when we were really small but I was probably 10 or 11 before I first really started cooking and baking on my own.

What are your favorite foods to make?
Well, I love to bake bread but other than that one of my favorite things to make are salads. I love trying different combinations of greens, vegetables, fruits, nuts and cheeses. It seems like the possibilities are endless!

What inspires you in the kitchen?
Fresh ingredients, new ingredients,and new kitchen gadgets! Sometimes I'm just inspired by my own hunger!

Why do you blog?
I started blogging because I live really far
away from friends and family and I thought it would be a great way to keep everyone updated on our adventures in Sicily. I started out with a "Life in Sicily" blog and I noticed that most of my posts were food-related. It didn't take long for me to realize how much I enjoyed photographing food, developing new recipes, and sharing with others. That's when I started Pinch My Salt. Since I haven't been updating my Life in Sicly blog, I will soon start trying to incorporate more of my Sicily experiences into Pinch My Salt.

What is your favorite post so far?
Well that one is hard to answer. I have a couple of favorite recipes and a couple of favorite photos but they aren't from the same posts! My favorite recipes are the Double Dark Chocolate Beet Muffins and the Cilantro Caesar Salad. But my favorite photos are the Mini Cherry Cheesecakes and the Peach Sorbet. But I guess my all-around favorite post would probably be Beef with Butter: Heart Attack or Heaven?

Best thing about living in Sicily?
The fresh produce! Oh, and the pizza and pastries and coffee and wine. Olive oil. Did I mention the pasta?

Do you share what you make?
Of course! My husband is in the military and unfortunately that means he isn't always around. But since I don't stop cooking when he's gone, my friends end up getting fed.

What do you do when you are not cooking?
Take photos of things I have cooked.

Favorite places to eat?
Greece and Italy. Oh, did you mean restaurants?
Some friends and I found this awesome pizzeria up on Mount Etna. I've only been there once but it was the best pizza I've had so I guess that's my favorite place to eat right now. It always changes! I also love Ring of Fire in Eugene, Oregon.

Any other interesting facts?
Well I'm originally from California but I lived in Oregon for several years so both places kind of feel like home. I have an English degree from the University of Oregon but I still don't know what I want to be when I grow up. We don't have kids but I have a very spoiled little Boston terrier and a big fluffy cat who thinks she's a dog.


PS. if any readers want to be interviewed, send me an email!