Saturday, December 16, 2006

Hemingway & Bailey's Bartending Guide


On my google homepage, I have NPR Topics: Food as one of my feeds. Nerdy, I know but that is how I heard about this cool book: Hemingway & Bailey's Bartending Guide by Hemingway's grandson and a friend. which features cocktail recipes, quotes and anecdotes from famous authors like Hemingway, Faulkner, F. Scott Fitzgerald (side note: in the Zelda biography they mention that their liquor bill was often in the $500 range--in the 1930s! I trust they know their booze.)and many others. It looks like a lot of fun and a good way to look like a smarty while you get loaded. Just think of how impressed your guests would be at your next party when you serve Hemingway's favorite mojitos.

You can listen to the Morning Edition interview with the author and a "Wait, Wait Don't Tell Me" piece featuring my favorite Amy Sedaris taking a literary drinking quiz here.